Tips for Maintaining Hardwood & Laminate
Once you invest in new flooring for you home, it’s very important to keep it maintained and looking just as beautiful as the day it was installed. Unfortunately, this can be harder than it sounds and can quickly get away from most homeowners. That’s why the experts here at Wheaton Door & Window are here to help you along the way with some general tips for maintaining the beauty of your new hardwood or laminate flooring.
Laminate Flooring Maintenance:
- The first thing to know is which materials are best for cleaning laminate. We suggest dust mops, soft bristle brooms, and suction only vacuum cleaners to routinely remove dust, dirt, and other loose materials. A standard laminate & hardwood cleaner sprayed onto a cotton, terrycloth, or microfiber mop is best for damp cleaning.
- Common tips for preventing damage to laminate flooring are using acetone based fingernail polish remover on stains from paint, oil, tar, etc. and to harden substances like wax or gum with ice before gently scraping off with a card or plastic scraper.
- You’ll want to avoid using wax, polish, oils, varnish, shine enhancers, etc. to keep your floor shining. You’ll also want to avoid spray mops, steam cleaners, and power cleaners.
Hardwood Flooring Maintenance:
- To prevent damage to your hardwood floor, it’s best to keep pets well-groomed as far as their feet are concerned since they can track dirt and grime into your home as well as scratch the surface if their claws are too long. It’s also a good idea to use a humidifier to reduce the chances of wood shrinkage. Routine cleaning is always on the top of the list for preventing damage and we suggest using soft-bristled broom to reduce the chance of accidental damage.
- It’s important to avoid walking on hardwood floors with spiked shoes as they can cause grievous damage to the wood. Additionally, stay away from oil soaps, liquid or paste wax, and products containing lemon, citrus, tung oil, or silicon. Wet mops or other forms of cleaning with water are typically a bad idea as well since it can lead to fading and other damages.
Make Sure Your Floor Stays Beautiful
The above are just a few tips when it comes to cleaning and maintaining your hardwood or laminate flooring. One of the most important things to remember is routine cleaning with a soft-bristle broom or dust mop. Performing this task goes a long way with regards to the preservation of the new flooring in your home. For more helpful tips like these or to learn more about how our flooring options can help beautify your home, contact us today!