General Maintenance & Care for Carpeting
Make Sure Your Carpet is Well Maintained
Once you have carpet flooring in your home, it’s very important to keep it maintained so it will continue to look beautiful throughout the years. Fortunately, this isn’t as daunting a task as it sounds and can actually be quite simple with the proper know how. At Wheaton Door & Window, we want you to be able to properly maintain your carpet, which is why we offer some helpful hints detailing how to go about it. The things you’ll need are the right vacuum and a few cleaning products.
Carpet Stain Prevention & Removal:
- Do your best to treat the affected area immediately. Doing this gives the stain less of a chance to set in and makes it far easier to clean.
- If you spill food on your carpet, then remove as much of the solid material as possible with a spoon or dull knife. Take care to do this gently so you don’t accidently mess up the texture of the carpet. Next, you’ll need to add water and blot the surface. You may use sparingly use detergent if necessary. Finally, vacuum back and forth over the area using the highest suction setting. Repeat the process until the stain is gone.
- Some stains may require spot removal solvents. If so, it’s recommended that you use a product approved by The Carpet and Rug Institute of America. We suggest applying a few drops to a clean, white cloth and blotting an inconspicuous areas of your carpet. If there is any change in the color of the carpet, consult a professional.
- Stains can be exceptionally persistent and may require treatment beyond that of general cleaning. If you’re combatting a stain such as this then you can try moistening the tufts of the stained areas with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Let it stand for one hour, then blot and repeat until the stain is removed.
- A few tips for keeping your carpet in beautiful condition is to vacuum it regularly, have it professionally cleaned every 12 to 18 months, and clip sprouts and snags with a pair of scissors.
- If your carpet is damaged by a burn, you can remove the tops of the burnt fibers using curved fingernail scissors for minor damage. Dents from heavy furniture can be removed by stroking them with the edge of a coin.
Professional Solutions for Heavier Damage
If your carpet is subjected to more severe burns, then it may require a patch or replacement. Extensive water damage should be taken care of by professional cleaners that are experienced with ensuring that the carpeting dried throughout. This will help you avoid costly issues like mold and mildew in your home. For more information regarding carpet maintenance and cleaning or carpeting installation, contact us to schedule a free consultation today!